Here it is.
Ok, I love all things lemon. And I love meringue. So obviously I love this pie. So does my husband, and all of our family. So I thought I would share the recipe.
First credit goes to the Mustard Restaurant cookbook. Most of this recipe came from there, with a few adjustments. It is a great cookbook by the way.
I kinda cheat and use frozen pie crust!( my grandmother would not be pleased) Put a cookie sheet in the oven, and preheat to 400. I get deep dish frozen pie crust and let it sit out for 5 to 10 minutes, then prick the bottom and sides with a fork.
As you put the pie crust in the oven you should assemble the filling.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
Juice of 4 large lemons ( about 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1TB lemon zest
Zest and juice lemons. Whisk 6 eggs with a 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar. Whisk in lemon juice and then add whipping cream. Then pour through a fine strainer into a pitcher or large measuring cup/pitcher. Stir in lemon zest. This will be very liquid.
By now the pie crust should have baked about 10 minutes. Open the oven door and pour the filling liquid right into the pie shell. Reduce heat to 325 and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until center is set but not firm. Cool pie and then refrigerate.
When it is near the time you want to serve, make the meringue.
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
Place the brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan and put 1/4 cup water over it. Turn it on high Using a candy thermometer bring it to about 230 degrees, and then begin whipping the egg whites and cream of tartar with balloon whisk attachment. When the candy thermometer reaches 245 degrees, you should remove from heat and begin to pour in thin stream into egg whites ( which should be slightly thick and foamy at this point) . As the egg whites begin to steam you should pour faster, and continue to whip until soft but firm peaks form. Then place this mountain of meringue on the pie and brown with torch or in oven under broiler. Be careful! Don’t let it burn. Don’t take your eyes off of it.
- berntsenbear reblogged this from clairecmc
- infynitsaddnes likes this
- meander-at-sea likes this
- healthysucks likes this
- sitsinwindows reblogged this from motherjones
- nomina-nuda-tenemus likes this
- jackdaws-pocketbook likes this
- neonboxers1 likes this
- sirensighs likes this
- ifinfinitywerentsofaraway likes this
- relright reblogged this from motherjones and added:
- chattyjeliza reblogged this from motherjones
- drox likes this
- agirlinastory likes this
- lyre-hc likes this
- xenicitizen likes this
- katrina-kay likes this
- lightsofcanopus likes this
- kayveetee likes this
- braveandorstupid likes this
- rgerdes likes this
- infinite-fetch likes this
- meganlives likes this
- sarahvwong likes this
- corroborate likes this
- owenshill likes this
- sidehustlestories likes this
- smittosmith likes this
- madridjunction likes this
- blufiresprite likes this
- blufiresprite reblogged this from motherjones
- justwannaeat likes this
- tacopowder likes this
- wishinoo reblogged this from motherjones
- wishinoo likes this
- jamilasays likes this
- cactustreemotel likes this
- be-wary-for-there-are-zombies likes this
- el-chen likes this
- electriccereal reblogged this from motherjones
- breynoso likes this
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- mostesekrit likes this
- billa likes this
- onehelltotheno reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- characteraboveall likes this
- sebhar likes this
- tbdkatie likes this
- politicsartandstuff likes this
- jomarch likes this